Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dolly

Long story short, things with Dolly went pretty well for a couple of days. She started to get more comfortable with her surroundings and liven up a bit.

But the first time we put her out in the backyard alone she dug under the fence and ran away. It's tough to look for a dog that doesn't respond to her name. When I was out looking for her I wasn't desperate, more like annoyed. After a few hours she found her way back home on her own. After that, Robin and I were discussing the whole situation and the implications of not being able to leave the dog in the yard, etc. We let our guard down for a moment. About that time we hear a bark. That was odd because we have not heard this dog bark before. Then we hear Stella crying. Not good. We rush to her and find her very upset near the dog's bed. I seek out the dog and find her on the other side of the house. I throw her in her crate and go back to Robin and Stella. Stella had bruises on her head from the incident, no blood, but at that instant in my mind the dog is gone.

All the good I thought we were doing for by rescuing this dog from the shelter was gone. Instead, now Katie would have to either find another person to foster her or she would go back to the shelter with the new badge of "not good with kids" attached to her. Sorta like a felony conviction.

Dolly did go back the the shelter, but they made her dog of the week (or something more clever than that) which meant she would be featured in the local papers. She was adopted the next day which made everyone feel better about the whole situation.

I thought I had more to write about dogs, but I think I waited too long after the incident. Oh well.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

So sorry Stella was hurt! Hope they placed Dolly in a place that will be a mutual fit.